Most of us are familiar with the “silver alert” as a notification that a person sixty-five years of age or older has gone missing. Recently, the Arizona legislature added to the alert notification to include those who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.

Assess your needs

Do you simply need help with such daily activities as bathing, dressing and preparing meals? Or do you need medical or skilled nursing care as well? What resources do you have available to pay for such assistance?

What is the difference between a guardian and a conservator?

The nutshell explanation is a guardian is responsible for the care of an incapacitated person’s health, personal care, and living arrangements.  A conservator is responsible for the person’s money and property.  Of course, that is a gross over simplification.  There are instances where a guardian handles money and instances when a conservator makes personal decisions for the protected person.  There are separate statutes covering incapacitated adults from those designed to protect minors, but the principals and procedures are fairly similar.  In this article, we will discuss the laws for incapacitated and protected adults and leave minors for another day.

You may be overwhelmed with grief right now. You may want to leave the administrative matters for a later day. But there are notifications and legal steps that should not be postponed.

There are some circumstances where grandparents who are in “loco parentis” may be awarded custody of their grandchildren. “Loco parentis” is a legal term meaning the grandparent stands in the shoes of the parent and has developed a parent/child relationship with the grandchild.


Being a caregiver is hard work. Caregiving is not just “taking care” of another person, whether it be a spouse, parent or child, but it’s also about listening and seeing the stories of those we help.

Studies suggest that Americans age 65 and older are less likely to be chronically disabled or living in a nursing home today than seniors of the same age were two decades ago. Still, there may come a time when you can no longer manage on your own. You may simply need help with daily grooming, bathing, preparing meals—or just getting around. Or, you may need round-the-clock care in a nursing home. There are options available.

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.