Increase Font Size

A- A A+

Money and Debt

Save for Retirement

It is not too late to save for retirement. Consider depositing your earnings (up to $5,000 in 2006) into a tax-deferred Individual Retirement Account (IRA) up to age 70-1/2. As part of a “catch-up” plan, you generally can set aside more if you are 50 or older. (IRC § 219(b)(1)(A) and 219(b)(5)(A)).

Check out a non-traditional Roth IRA. If your annual adjusted gross income is less than $110,000 ($160,000 for a married couple), you may qualify for such an account. The taxes are not deferred, but the distributions will be tax-free. (RT § 17507.6)

Find out if your employer offers a tax-deferred investment savings plan, such as a 401(k). In general, employees can set aside a portion of their earnings (up to $15,000 in 2006). And, as part of a “catch-up” plan, you can generally put away $5,000 more if you are 50 or older.

Ask about your company’s pension plan. Most pension plans include a survivor’s pension. Contact your pension plan administrator. For general information, contact the Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration on-line or call (866)444-3272. You can also visit the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation on-line for help.


This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.