Increase Font Size

A- A A+

Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.

Health and Benefits

All About Medicare Cards

What is a Medicare card used for?


Everyone that is enrolled in Medicare is issued a card as a part of the welcome packet they receive. The card is used by doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies for billing purposes.

What information is on a Medicare card?

Medicare cards have identifying information:

  • Name (first name, middle initial, last name)
  • Medicare number
  • Plan(s) enrolled in
  • When coverage began

Medicare cards no longer contain Social Security Numbers, but still should not be shared with anyone not in the medical field. This helps reduce the risk of being scammed.


Will Medicare call me and ask for my information?

Rarely. When a person contacts Medicare by phone, email, or in-person, Medicare may reach out with follow up information, but only with permission.

Medicare’s primary mode of communication is through the mail and a member’s portal. Medicare will not:

  • Call and ask personal information
  • Ask for money
  • Threaten to cancel health benefits

If someone calls claiming to be with Medicare, hang up and call (800) 633-4227 to verify if it is a valid matter.

I lost my card. How can I replace my Medicare card?

For those that have lost or damaged their card, may request a replacement either online under their account or by calling (800) 633-4227. There is not a cost for replacing the card.

I just got married. How do I request a card with my new name?

New cards are not issued until after a name change is officially completed with the Social Security Administration. Once this is done, a new card may be requested by contacting Medicare at (800) 633-4227.


This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.