Increase Font Size

A- A A+

Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.


Housing Options for Seniors

Most individuals desire to live as independently as possible while receiving the level of service or care needed. Fortunately there are many housing options to choose from depending on the level of care needed, eligibility, and budget. One of your best resources for housing options is the Area Agency on Aging.  

Use their on-line locator to find your region and closest Agency on Aging resource.   You can always call the Area Agency on Aging's 24-hour Senior HELP LINE at (602) 264-4357, toll free at (888) 264-2258, or TTY/TDD at (602) 241-6110 to get more information on any of the following alternatives.

Senior Adult Independent Living Program (SAIL) is for individuals who need help to continue living at home. SAIL provides in-home evaluations to determine an individual’s area of need and make the necessary referrals for services. SAIL services include:

• Case management

• Adult day health care

• Home delivered meals

• Home health aid

• Home nursing

• Personal care

• Homemaking and chores

Persons with physical problems aged 60 years or older can benefit from SAIL. Persons aged 18 to 59 years with a diagnosed disability receiving or eligible for SSI disability payments may also benefit

Independent Living Communities and Senior Apartments are for seniors who desire an active lifestyle with other seniors. There may be meal plans, housekeeping services, and planned social activities including exercise classes and wellness programs to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes called retirement communities, the age requirements may vary but are generally 55 years or older.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Senior Housing offers affordable housing for the elderly and disabled who are highly independent. After qualifying for HUD housing, the individual must pay a percentage of their monthly income to rent and HUD takes care of the remaining amount. 

Assisted Living Communities and Homes are licensed and for seniors with a low to moderate level of independence who need some level of assistance but not the continuous care provided by a skilled nursing center. These residences offer couples the option of staying together when only one spouse requires care. Three levels of care exist in these communities and homes to meet the needs of those individuals seeking this type of housing:

  • Supervisory care provides general supervision and crisis intervention with the most basic level of assistance.
  • Personal care is assisted living with assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
  • Directed care which is the highest level of assisted living and provides intermittent nursing care and extra assistance to individuals incapable of making basic decisions pertaining to their own welfare and safety.  

Adult Foster Care (AFC) Homes offer seniors a residence in a licensed family home administered by the Foundation for Senior Living in Maricopa County. All Adult Foster Care Homes take individuals in the Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS) which subsidizes the fees for the care although there are private pay options. For more information about Adult Foster Care call the Foundation for Senior Living at (602) 285-1800 or the Senior Help LINE at (888) 264-2258, or TTY/TDD at (602) 241-6110.

Nursing Care Centers are designed for people requiring supervised skilled nursing care 24/7. Meals, housekeeping and assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) along with nursing services and usually social and recreational activities are provided. Nursing care centers typically accept AHCCCS/ALTCS.


This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.