Increase Font Size

A- A A+

Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.

Wills and Estates

Losing a Spouse or Parent

You may be overwhelmed with grief right now. You may want to leave the administrative matters for a later day. But there are notifications and legal steps that should not be postponed.

  • Make funeral and burial arrangements.
  • Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
  • Gather relevant documents, such as the will, insurance policies, trusts, and stock, bank account and annuity statements.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration (if the deceased was an eligible recipient).
  • Send a notification and death certificate to the director of health services (if the deceased was a AHCCCS recipient) within 90 days after the death.
  • Notify any life insurance companies of the death.
  • Contact the trustee of any trust and/or the attorney who prepared it.
  • Contact the executor of the will and/or the attorney who prepared it.
  • Call the administrator of the decedent’s pension plan.
  • Notify the decedent’s banks and financial institutions.
  • Contact credit card companies.
  • Be sure that insurance or Medicare claims have been processed before paying any medical bills.



This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.